Political US/World

Trump Authorizes Full Declassification of All Russia Collusion Documents

President Donald Trump tweeted on Tuesday that he had authorized full disclosure of all information relating to both the investigation into alleged Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s private email server usage Fox News reported.

The president announced his intentions via social media, tweeting, “I have fully authorized the total Declassification of any & all documents pertaining to the single greatest political CRIME in American History, the Russia Hoax. Likewise, the Hillary Clinton Email Scandal. No redactions!” 

Trump added, “All Russia Hoax Scandal information was Declassified by me long ago. Unfortunately for our Country, people have acted very slowly, especially since it is perhaps the biggest political crime in the history of our Country. Act!!!”

Republicans have been critical of both the FBI and CIA continually delaying and blocking the release of previously declassified documents.

As reported by Newsweek Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe confirmed the president’s actions, saying, “Today, at the direction of President Trump, I declassified additional documents relevant to ongoing Congressional oversight and investigative activities.”

Previously, DNI Ratcliffe had declassified documents including a memo with handwritten notes by then-CIA Director John Brennan regarding briefing then-President Obama concerning Democratic presidential nominee Clinton’s efforts to promote a Trump-Russia collusion story “a means of distracting the public from her use of a private email server.” 

Ratcliffe was accused by Democrats of pushing “Russian disinformation” when he declassified the Brennan memo. The DNI vehemently denied this, saying “To be clear, this is not Russian disinformation and has not been assessed as such by the Intelligence Community. I’ll be briefing Congress on the sensitive sources and methods by which it was obtained in the coming days.”

Further pushing back against the Russian disinformation charge was a source familiar with the relevant documents.  That source told Fox News, “This is not Russian disinformation. Even Brennan knew, or he wouldn’t be briefing the president of the United States on it. There is a high threshold to orally brief the president of the United States and he clearly felt this met that threshold.”

A separate source told Fox News, “this information has been sought by hundreds of congressional requests for legitimate oversight purposes and was withheld for political spite—and the belief that they’d never get caught,” adding that Brennan’s notes on the memo are significant because it was “their own words, written and memorialized in real time.”

President Trump just returned to the White House on Monday evening following a weekend stay at Walter Reed Medical Center for treatment of COVID-19.

The declassification comes as Congress has been conducting independent investigations into the origins of the Trump-Russia probe.  Those investigations are ongoing. Additionally, U.S. Attorney John Durham has been conducting his own investigation into the Russia probe’s origins.  Durham was given the assignment last year by Attorney General William Barr.

Leave a Reply