President Trump is still planning to take part in next week’s second presidential debate in Miami, according to a Fox News report.
Trump 2020 Communications Director Tim Murtaugh was quoted as saying, “The President intends to debate,”
At the time of his tweet, Trump had been discharged less than 24 hours from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, where he’d been treated as a patient since COVID-19 symptoms forced him to the hospital Friday for treatment, the Miami Herald reports.
Trump says he tested positive for coronavirus Thursday evening. His doctors and the White House have declined to say when he last tested negative.
The president’s physician, Dr. Sean P. Conley on Monday said that Trump’s fever has been gone for days without the use of medication to knock down his temperature but would not put a timetable on how long Trump would be contagious.
NPR reports that Conley also said, “We’ll see,” when asked about any potential campaign travel for the president. The next debate is in nine days, casting uncertainty on what is possible for the president to do both in terms of his own recovery as well as concerns over exposure.
The article also mentioned it seemed possible that Trump would take on a different tone when talking about the severity of COVID-19 now that he is a patient battling the disease.
Trump said, “I learned a lot about COVID. I learned it by really going to school. This is the real school. This isn’t the ‘let’s read the book’ school,” he said in a video on Sunday.
But that was not the case, as when he returned to the White House on Monday evening, Trump walked up the staircase to the South Portico entrance, turned to face the cameras, removed his mask and gave two thumbs-up.
The next presidential debate is scheduled for Thursday, October 15.