Home US/World

Dem Mayors Of Violent Cities Respond To Trump Defund Threat

By | Been Written

Contributing Writer | Telegraph Local

Mr. Trump, he said, “better have an army if he thinks he’s going to walk down the street in New York.”

Governor  Andrew M. Cuomo, speaking about President Trump’s memo

Democratic Mayors and officials of cities under siege from violent protestors are responding to President Trump’s threat to defund them.

President Trump’s move comes through a memorandum issued on September 2, 2020.

Titled: ‘Memorandum on Reviewing Funding to State and Local Government Recipients That Are Permitting Anarchy, Violence, and Destruction in American Cities‘, Portland, Oregon, Seattle, Washington, Washington D.C., and New York City were mentioned in the memorandum.

President Trump mentioned examples of why he was considering defunding the cities:

“For more than 3 weeks, beginning on June 9, 2020, the city of Seattle allowed anarchists and rioters to take over six square blocks of the city, an area the unlawful occupiers renamed the “Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone” and then the “Capitol Hill Occupied Protest.”

“In Portland, for over 80 days, State and local officials have allowed violent anarchists to unlawfully riot and engage in criminal activity on the streets, including the destruction of property.”

“Likewise, in New York City, city officials have allowed violence to spike.  In late May and early June, State and local officials allowed looting to take place for over a week, resulting in damage to an estimated 450 businesses.” 

 Trump said that the affected cities were “significantly defunding their police departments, and refusing to accept offers of Federal law enforcement assistance.”

“As a result of these State and local government policies, persistent and outrageous acts of violence and destruction have continued unabated in many of America’s cities, such as Portland, Seattle, and New York.”

“As much as Donald Trump wants New York City to drop dead, we will never let this stand. This has nothing to do with ‘law and order’. This is a racist campaign stunt out of the Oval Office to attack millions of people of color.”, the New York Times quoted Bill Neidhardt, spokesman for Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York as saying.

New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo himself responded to the letter from Trump in an evening conference call with reporters. He said the president’s letter was “another attempt to kill New York City,” where the president was long a resident and developer before officially moving to Florida last year.

“It’s cheap, it’s political, it’s gratuitous, and it’s illegal,” the governor said of the memo. Mr. Trump, he said, “better have an army if he thinks he’s going to walk down the street in New York.”

In a joint statement, all four Mayors, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan and Washington, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser had this to say:

“Our cities, and the millions of Americans who we represent, are not President Trump’s political pawns. We are confronting unprecedented challenges—fighting back a pandemic and economic devastation without another stimulus.”

“Now, instead of leadership from the White House, we are faced with new attacks that are unlawful, unconstitutional and will be undoubtedly defeated in court. President Trump needs to wake up to the reality facing our cities—and our entire country—and realize he is not above the law.”

Leave a Reply