By | Been Written
Contributing Writer | Telegraph Local
In response to Saturday’s fatal shooting in Portland, Oregon Governor Kate Brown announced on Sunday that state police will return to Portland to assist with restoring order to the beleaguered city.
Multiple media reports have identified the victim as Aaron Danielson, who also went by the name of Jay Bishop, although it’s believed that they are awaiting a statement from the man’s family before commenting further. The shooting occurred on Saturday.
Danielson is described as a “good friend” and supporter of Patriot Prayer, according to the group’s leader, Joey Gibson.
The governor’s plan involves all levels of law enforcement who have agreed to the following:
1. The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office will prosecute serious criminal offenses, including arson and physical violence.
2. The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office will work with system partners to hold individuals booked for violent behavior, and to ensure that there is adequate jail space to hold such individuals.
3. As done previously, Oregon State Police will detail personnel and resources to Portland to free up the Portland Police Bureau’s investigative capabilities to arrest and charge those engaging in violent acts. OSP troopers will continue their standard practice of wearing body cameras to allow for the documentation of their activities.
4. The Governor is asking Clackamas and Washington County Sheriff’s Offices and the City of Gresham Police Department to support the Portland Police Bureau with personnel and resources to keep the peace and protect free speech.
5. Oregon State Police have offered over two dozen body cameras and associated evidence management to the Portland Police Bureau, and the Bureau will evaluate their use. The City of Portland has agreed to indemnify Clackamas and Washington Counties and the City of Gresham for law enforcement assistance. In addition, the Mayor will seek financial resources to reimburse these jurisdictions for their support.
6. The United States Attorney and the Federal Bureau of Investigation will commit additional resources for investigation of criminal activity.
Governor Brown said, “The right-wing group Patriot Prayer and self-proclaimed militia members drove into downtown Portland last night, armed and looking for a fight. Every Oregonian has the right to freely express their views without fear of deadly violence. I will not allow Patriot Prayer and armed white supremacists to bring more bloodshed to our streets.
What is Patriot Prayer?
Described by media as a right-wing group, the group’s Facebook page says, “Patriot Prayer is about fighting corruption, big government, and tyranny using God for strength and the power of love,” Gibson wrote on the group’s Facebook page.
“Patriot prayer is about using the power of love and prayer to fight the corruption both in the government and citizen levels that seek to gain power through division and deception.”
Who Was Aaron Danielson?
Clark County Today says, ‘Reports indicate that Danielson was shot and killed at about 8:45 p.m. Saturday night in downtown Portland, where nightly riots and protests against law enforcement have taken place for nearly 100 consecutive days.’
‘Multiple reports indicated that Danielson was targeted by his assailant because he was wearing clothing that identified him as a supporter of Patriot Prayer.’
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT, VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED
“Hey! Hey, we got one right here! We got a Trumper right here!”
Then two gunshots are heard.
Danielson’s killer is believed to be Michael Reinoehl.
Who is Michael Reinoehl?
The 48-year-old describes himself as a ‘Pro snowboarder for deviation Ski and Snowboard Works”, according to his Facebook page, although he may have more than one.
The Oregonian says that Michael Reinoehl is a former soldier who calls himself “100% ANTIFA” and is ready for “war”. He’s currently being investigated for the fatal shooting of Aaron Danielson.
He was identified in part by a striking tattoo on the neck of a “Black Power” fist – as well as by a phone call from his estranged sister, who recognized him according to the video and photos of the fatal attack.
The article also mentioned that Reinoehl’s 36-year-old sister said she was awakened just before 8 a.m. Sunday by a threatening phone call from someone who told her that “our whole family was in danger unless we turned him over.”
His sister, who remains unnamed due to safety precautions, says,
She called the shooting “not the solution” to the nation’s problems.
“Violence creates violence and hatred creates hatred. This is not the solution. My heart goes out to the victim. Always did it before I even knew my brother was involved.”