Crime Home US/World

Portland Assault Suspect Turns Self In after Begging for Money on Social Media

A suspect caught on video assaulting a defenseless man surrendered to Portland police on Friday according to the Portland Police Bureau.  The Portland police also reported identifying a witness to the altercation.  The suspect arranged a surrender to police after begging for money on social media while on the run.

The suspect was identified as 25-year-old Marquise “Keese” Love.  Prior to his surrender he professed his innocence on SnapChat and begged for people to send him money.  “Might go to jail for murder tonight for a racist when all I did was fight him. “Look it up on Twitter put money on my books and come see me.”

The assault on Adam Haner occurred late on Sunday evening and was captured on video by David Hernandez.  Haner and his girlfriend Tammie Martin had stopped their white Ford four-by-four truck to aid a transgendered female who was being mugged.  A group of Black Lives Matter protestors chased Haner back into his truck.  The truck then crashed into a tree while trying to escape and Haner was dragged from the vehicle, punched and kicked, and forced to his knees.  A man, identified by police as Love, then came up behind Haner and viciously kicked him.  These events occurred a few blocks away from a Black Lives Matter protest.

Hernandez confirmed Haner and Martin’s version of the events in an interview with the Daily Mail.  “I think he just felt extremely threatened,” he said. “They chased him… until he finally crashed. When they finally caught up to him, they went nuts. This was violent, extremely violent. Sometimes I forget I’m walking the streets of an American city in the Northwest. Sometimes it feels like you’re walking in a Third World county.” Hernandez added of the increasing violence in Portland, “It’s literally like just one thing after another. Just these random people, they start physically assaulting.”

Marquise Love has a lengthy police record going back at least 8 years.  He has been arrested and charged with crimes ranging from domestic assault and domestic harassment to second-degree theft and criminal trespass.  His arrests came in a number of Oregon counties in and around the city of Portland.  In 2017 a judge issued a protective order against him in relation to a domestic assault case.  Love was working as a security guard for Star Protection until he was fired in March of this year.  A spokesperson for Star Protection said that the company had not “engaged this individual in any capacity” since firing him.

The Portland Police Bureau announced Love’s surrender Friday afternoon after arranging it with Love’s attorney.  I am pleased the suspect in this case turned himself in and appreciate all of the efforts to facilitate this safe resolution,” said Chief Chuck Lovell. “Thank you to all of the members of the public who have provided information and tips to our investigators. Your assistance is very much appreciated.” Love was officially booked at the Multnomah County Detention Center on charges of Assault, Riot, and Coercion.  

Leave a Reply