president trump bunker inspection
Home Political

Trump claims he went to bunker for ‘inspection’ amid violent protests

By | Rachel Brooks

Staff | Telegraph Local 

See | The New African Living Standard

Above, Inside Edition captures the scene outside the White House, night of the protests.

President Trump has come under public scrutiny again as he claims to have gone into the White House bunker for “inspection” as violent protests raged outside White House walls. This was initially reported by CBS News, and was updated on June 3. Trump acknowledged publicly that he did enter the bunker beneath the White House on Friday. He states, however, that he was only there for an inspection. Trump states that a Secret Service agent advised him that Friday was a good time to look at the bunker because there might soon come a good chance he was going to need it. 

Chances look slim for Congress to overhaul policing laws any time soon

Trump’s entry into the bunker drew a great deal of public criticism from citizen America. Yet,it is now no longer only the citizen public that scrutinizes President Trump’s actions during these civil rights protests. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has publicly opposed Trump’s military deployment rhetoric, citing Bloomberg News. Trump had strong criticism for Esper after he publicly stated in a press conference that he did not support the idea of military deployment against citizens. Trump confronted Esper in the Oval Office. Esper opposed the use of the Insurrection Act for the George Floyd protest riots. Trump has made statements suggesting that he will not invoke at this time anyway. 

Even former Secretary of Defense, General James Mattis has had some remarks regarding Trump’s response to the George Floyd and police brutality protests. General Mattis broke his silence by posting an article in The Atlantic. He moved to do this despite the fact that he has previously attempted to stay as apolitical as possible, due to the apolitical stance of the United States Armed Services. 

Yet, at this junction, the hawkish commander who resigned from the position of Secretary of Defense due to disagreement with Trump over Syria command gave his comments. He appeared to be quite disgruntled with Trump’s tendency to encourage division between U.S. demographics. 

“When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens-much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside,” said Mattis in his The Atlantic article, as he was quoted by The Hill. General Mattis’ article was published on Wednesday. 

The president returned scathing comments of his own when his behavior was questioned by his former cabinet member. 

Republican congressman Steve King ousted in Iowa primary

“Probably the only thing Barack Obama & I have in common is that we both had the honor of firing Jim Mattis, the world’s most overrated General. I asked for his letter of resignation, & felt great about it. His nickname was “Chaos”, which I didn’t like, & changed to “Mad Dog”…

…His primary strength was not military, but rather personal public relations. I gave him a new life, things to do, and battles to win, but he seldom “brought home the bacon”. I didn’t like his “leadership” style or much else about him, and many others agree. Glad he is gone!,” said Trump, in a pair of tweets that were posted at 8:02pm on June 3. 

Leave a Reply