hong kong protests tiananmen
Home US/World

China marks Tiananmen anniversary with crackdown, ban on Hong Kong vigil

By | Rachel Brooks

Staff | Telegraph Local 

See | The New African Living Standard

Above, Bloomberg Quick Take broadcast shows the seen of Tiananmen anniversary vigils held in defiance of the ban.

China marks the Tiananmen Square Massacre anniversary with a crackdown and a ban on the Hong Kong vigil. This was initially reported by the BBC within the last 24 hours. The Tiananmen Square Protest Massacre occurred on June 3, 1989. 

Russia declares state of emergency after massive oil spill in the Arctic Circle

Despite the ban, tens of thousands defied the ban to attend the vigil. Officers erected barriers surrounding the Victoria Park locale in an attempt to block the vigil. Pro-Democracy protesters knocked them down. The protesters then proceeded to hold candlelit vigils. 

Earlier this year, the Chinese authorities had banned this vigil citing the coronavirus concerns as cause. Chinese lawmakers have also recently made it a crime to insult China’s national anthem. This has put a grave lean on any respective memorial for the victims of the Tiananmen Square killings. Up until this point, Hong Kong and Macau were permitted to commemorate the killings. Hong Kong has held a vigil for those killed in 1989 ever since 1990.

 

On June 3, 1989 troops and tanks opened fire on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing. The dead were estimated from a few hundred to a few thousand. 

Typically, tens of thousands of Hong Kong citizens would gather to mark the anniversary. Police told local media that this year 3,000 riot officers will be deployed to suppress vigils. 

Fox News reported that this was the first time a vigil for the Tiananmen Square Massacre has been canceled for 30 years. Fox reported that China has long detested Hong Kong’s vigil. The Tiananmen Square Massacre is still a taboo subject for mainland China. 

Fox News shared their reports from the Associated Press wire services. 

China policy experts call the new legislation in Hong Kong an “alarming” series of events. 

“The ban comes amid an alarming acceleration of attacks on the autonomy of Hong Kong and the undermining of the rights and freedoms of the Hong Kong people guaranteed under Hong Kong and international law,” said Sharon Hom the executive director of Human Rights in China, as quoted by the Associated Press and Fox News. 

The Guardian spoke with protesters in Hong Kong to learn what the Chinese people believe about the crackdowns on Hong Kong’s democratic rights. 

“What happened in Tiananmen showed the true nature of the Communist Party. Instead of being silenced, I’d rather sacrifice myself for freedom. If we have no freedom, it makes no difference whether you’re in jail or not,” said Lawrence, a 25-year-old man who is a retailer. He says that the people of Hong Kong should not be intimidated by the new national security laws. 

Wildfire destroys homes and forces evacuations in northern California

Newsweek reports that many democracy activists have already foreseen the end of Hong Kong with free speech and free trade. The National People’s Congress drowned out the voice of the democracy advocate as legislation was passed with thunderous applause. 

Meanwhile. GQ magazine reports that Hong Kong protesters continue to rally and plan their protests for democracy. They offered the magazine the best advice for attending a protest. 

Leave a Reply