Authorities Identify Siblings Found Dead After Woman Jumped off Chicago High Rise
Crime Home

Authorities Identify Siblings Found Dead After Woman Jumped off Chicago High Rise


By Marie DeFreitas 

Contributing Writer Telegraph Local | See My Website


A Chicago mom jumped out of an 11th floor window on Thursday with her 7 month old son. The second son was later found dead in a bath tub. The two siblings have been identified as 7 month old Ameer Newell and 2 year old Johntavis Newell, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office. 


Knife Attack Near Paris Kills One, Wounds Several, Mayor Says


It was after the mother allegedly stabbed her father, that she jumped out of the building with her younger son. Police have identified the woman as 20 year old Aleah Newell. Both children were rushed to the Comer Children’s Hospital. They were both pronounced dead.


Zera Newell, Aleah Newell’s mother, identified the children’s remains Friday. In an interview with ABC7 Chicago News Newell said: “I don’t know why it happened, why she killed my grandkids.” 


According to People Magazine a press release from Chicago police stated that officers responded to a call of “a person down” outside a high-rise building. They arrived to find “a female in her 30s and an infant on the ground.”


The building’s security team directed the police to an 11th floor apartment. When the officers entered the apartment, they discovered the unidentified father “with lacerations to his face and body.” They also discovered “a male infant unresponsive in a bath tub.” ABC7 Chicago News stated that she stabbed her 2 year old son, then left him in the tub. 


Both the mother and grandfather of the children are in critical condition at the University of Chicago Medical Center. 


In an interview with ABC7 Chicago News acquaintance Adrianna Thomas said Newell spent a couple days at the Shield of Hope shelter in Humboldt Park. Here Newell told several people she needed help and would not be able raise her kids on her own. 


Those who knew Newell said the Salvation Army, which runs the Shield of Hope facility, denied to help her. 


“If y’all knew she was asking for help, why didn’t you help this lady?” said acquaintance Teranika Jones, to ABC7 Chicago News.


The Salvation Army initially issued a statement saying they could not confirm if Aleah Newell stayed at the shelter. They stated: “Our prayers go out to the family impacted by this horrible tragedy. Due to client confidentiality, we can’t disclose the names of clients.”


However, Newell’s mother confirmed her daughter called her from the shelter on Tuesday night, according to ABC7 Chicago News. Friday evening the Salvation Army issued an updated statement. In this statement they then acknowledged Aleah Newell stayed at the Shield of Hope shelter from Monday until Wednesday morning.


California Starbucks customer dies chasing laptop thief, police say; 2 arrested

The case is currently being handled as a homicide and an attempted murder-suicide. Police have not filed formal charges against the woman yet. At this time a motive is still unknown. Officers have yet to interview either the woman or man since they both arrived at the hospital.


If you or someone you know is considering suicide, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), text “help” to the Crisis Text Line at 741-741 or go to

Marie DeFreitas
Marie DeFreitas is a graduate of the Savannah College of Art and Design, (B.F.A Writing, B.F.A. Illustration) and is currently based out of Raleigh, North Carolina.

Leave a Reply