Boy Accidentally Sets Lawn on Fire With Magnifying Glass He Got As Christmas Present, Mother Says
Home US/World

Boy Accidentally Sets Lawn on Fire With Magnifying Glass He Got As Christmas Present, Mother Says

By Tia’Lavon Hill, Contributing Writer for Telegraph Local

One 12 year old boy in McKinney, Texas had a very bright Christmas, but not for the reasons you may think. Like every child on Christmas Day, Cayden Parson couldn’t wait to find out what Santa left for him under the Christmas tree. Once the unwrapping was complete, he rushed outside to play with one of his new Christmas gifts, a magnifying glass.  However, what happened next shocked his entire family.

The Queen and Prince George Bake Festive Treats

A magnifying glass was not an unusual request for a Christmas gift for a curious, science loving, young boy like Cayden.  Initially, the gift seemed harmless and possibly something the young reader wanted for his many books. However, according to a Facebook post from his mother, Cayden’s gift turned out to be more dangerous than they thought, after he accidentally lit the front lawn on fire.  Apparently the magnifying glass was not to be used for reading but instead for an experiment the preteen wanted to conduct. Cayden’s mom, Nissa-Lynn Parson, said via social media, that her son’s attempted to use the magnifying glass to burn a hole through newspaper.

While standing in the driveway of their home, the plan took an unexpected turn and before the parents knew it, Cayden and his brothers were running in the house claiming that a corner of the lawn, as well as the Christmas lights, were on fire.  Mrs. Parson wrote that she and her husband, Justin Parson, then dashed outside to find that their lawn was indeed in flames.  For those wondering how something like this could happen, it’s actually quite simple.  The boys used the held the magnifying glass between the sun and the newspaper for about 30 seconds, completing their experiment and setting the paper on fire. However, once the newspaper was set ablaze, the wind sent it flying onto the lawn and ultimately creating the (unintentional) Christmas Barbecue.

On Christmas Day, most families are opening gifts and eating until they can’t move, but the Parsons’ ended up having to be pretend firefighters. The mother of five posted videos the family dousing water on their blackened lawn and even described the ordeal in detail for her Facebook friends:

“We grabbed buckets, Justin turned the sprinklers on, and I grabbed blankets to smother and trap it – before it could spread any more into the neighbors yard! What a sight to see – a bunch of people running around crazy trying to put a front lawn fire out while wearing matching Christmas jammies!”

Thankfully, the Christmas lights and grass were the only things hurt as a result of the fire. The family didn’t suffer any injuries in the accident and they were able to extinguish the fire without involving  the local Fire Department. Mrs. Parson seemed to also have a good attitude about things, as she reiterated in her post that this was an accident and things could’ve been much worse. 

Christina Koch Breaks Record for Longest Spaceflight by a Woman

In her Facebook post, she even claimed to have learned a valuable Christmas lesson: “Never buy a magnifying glass for your son.”

Leave a Reply