Contributor | Telegraph Local
Boris Johnson’s election means that Brexit is at last in the closing stages. The Wall Street Journal highlights the grave sense of deflation many of the anti-Brexit campaigners now feel. Hugo Dixon, the deputy chairman for People’s Vote, was quoted as saying “It is over”. Anti-Brexit had rallied the stance of three former prime ministers, and celebrities including the Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling.
Wall Street Journal credits the failure of anti-Brexit to a failure in government cooperation as well as a general lack of definition from pro-EU campaigners to define what they wanted done as alternative.
That said, Briton voters are rallied almost by a clean population half against the idea of Brexit. From the recent voting polls, shared by the Wall Street Journal, we see that the Labour, Liberal Democrat, SNP, and Green parties voted against Brexit. The Conservative and Brexit parties, who voted in favor of Brexit, are 43.6% and 2% of the respective vote. That accounts for 45.6%. Tally the remaining parties together. Their collective percentage of the vote accounts for 50.3% This means that the party divide was almost a clean half of 95.9% of the population. With a higher percentage of real voters in opposition of Brexit.
This still fails to account for the 4.1% of the popular vote not expressed by the numbers. This percentage gap could be attributed to people who do not register to vote, a neutral opinion, or something else.
If one adds 4.1% to the 45.6% of the vote that was in favor of Brexit, and we assume that this missing percentage was likewise in favor of Brexit, then we see the number brought to 49.2%. That’s an even cleaner break straight down the middle. Yet, if the 4.1% were opposed we’d be looking at 54.4% of the population that was genuinely opposed to the idea of Brexit. Which number is the actual representing figure for Britons?
To solve the gap problem, one could look at the opinion polls. Wall Street Journal shared a survey with questions framed “Remain a Member of the EU” and “Leave the EU”. Responses such as “I don’t know” were excluded from this opinion poll.
As of December 12, 2019 the poll was 54% “remain a member of the EU” and 46% “leave the EU”. This poll accounts for that missing 4.1% of represented voters. It shows us that Britons are divided nearly in half by the issue, but that the numbers trend in greater favor of “remain a member of the EU.” We can also infer form answers of “I don’t know”_even while they were excluded from the percentage figures_that there is a certain trace element of confusion involved with Brexit.
So, how did Brexit commence if the people were so directly divided on it? Citing the Guardian, Boris Johnson’s victory came at a “thumping parliamentary victory” with the focal word being “parliamentary”. This means that, while the people were more than half opposed to the Tories and their intent for Brexit, the parliament was in favor of Johnson’s ideal. The Guardian Opinion contributor, Mr. Simon Jenkins, also believes that the Labour and Green parties would have been assisted if Liberal Democrats had disbanded. If they had disbanded and voted from the Labour party, then Jenkins concluded that Johnson’s MPs seats would have been taken by Labour. So, some of the success of Brexit could likely come from the division and confusion of the multi-party system as it fails to reach a concrete verdict.
Business Insider Nordic states that Boris Johnson plans to deliver Brexit in six weeks time. This has the UK’s EU departure scheduled for January 31st. The government will need to “race through” the needed legislation in a hasty few weeks to have this done. As the government was so divided up until this point, mistakes are expected to be made. Britons must now pick up the pieces and make some difficult judgement calls. Is the UK represented clean and fair by its government? What changes to the party system and government should be made to better reflect the will of the people above the will of the Parliament? Is it possible to have reached a better verdict than a cut clean down the center, or must the UK always remain so divided on all issues?
The way forward is uncertain. Yet, if the people of the UK are resilient, the changes that come from Brexit may also be the catalyzing change that has the whole people petition stronger guards for their future security. The next time that such a trade-altering verdict is reached then perhaps it will happen on the strength of a larger majority than this. The UK feels cut into today. When will the day come when the people feel united on their progress fronts again?