Anna Faris Was Saved from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Over Thanksgiving: I'm 'Very Fortunate'
Entertainment Home

Anna Faris Was Saved from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Over Thanksgiving: I’m ‘Very Fortunate’

By Melissa Darling

Contributing Writer for Telegraph Local | See LinkedIn

All of us have a variety of things, people, and places to be thankful for this holiday season. Anna Faris as well; but she didn’t think she’d have to be thankful for her and her family’s life after a carbon monoxide scare. Although, now she and her family have an entirely new reason to be thankful this year. For Thanksgiving, Faris went with her friends and family to a rented vacation home in Lake Tahoe, California. 13 of them gathered together to enjoy the holiday.

All was well until some began to complain about feeling ill, but chalked it up to at first being altitude sickness. The situation escalated after two guests ended up having to go to the hospital. Once they arrived, doctors had determined it to be carbon monoxide poisoning, and the rest of the 11 guests were checked up on by first responders. Two more ended up being sent to the hospital while the rest were also treated for their symptoms at home. The house reportedly had six times the maximum amount of recommended indoor carbon monoxide levels. This is even after having windows and doors open for ventilation, so this was an entirely dangerous situation to be in if they had not caught on any earlier. If it weren’t for the first responders this Thanksgiving, the holiday could have turned out much differently for the Faris family. First responders reportedly said the family was “lucky to be alive.”

The actress tweeted about her terrifying experience and quoted “it’s a stupidly dramatic story,” but feels very fortunate. It’s a good thing that there were some windows and doors open, otherwise the already-dangerous levels of carbon monoxide would’ve been even higher and more deadly. Then the story wouldn’t be so stupidly dramatic, but terribly tragic.

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer, and is especially prevalent in the colder seasons due to higher use of heating. Carbon monoxide is produced from fuel-burning appliances and engines, so various appliances in your own homes are subject to emitting dangerous amounts of this toxic gas. In order to prevent this, make sure to always have a properly functioning carbon monoxide detector (something the rental home for Faris clearly did not have.) According to Mayo Clinic, below are some symptoms to identify if you may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

In order to prevent this from happening to you and your family, there are some easy and effective prevention methods. For example the functioning carbon monoxide detector aforementioned. If you have a car garage, make sure the garage door is open before starting your car, and if you have gas appliances you need to be sure you are using them correctly and as recommended.

Let the terrifying and awfully unfortunate event that happened to Anna Faris and her family be a lesson for us all. Carbon monoxide is quick, virtually undetectable, and irreversible. We need to all be aware of our surroundings and when something doesn’t feel right. Thankfully Faris and her family are okay, and now we will all be better for it. The holidays will be a particularly thankful one for the Faris household this season, and for us all!

Leave a Reply