Welcome to the Game of the Weak.
The struggling New York Jets (1-7), led by quarterback Sam Darnold and running back Le’Veon Bell, meet the floundering New York Giants (2-7), led by quarterback Daniel Jones and running back Saquon Barkley, in a Week 10 NFL football game on Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019 (11/10/19) at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
It’s 14th regular-season meeting between the roommates of MetLife Stadium, where teams have split their two meetings.
The Jets prevail, 34-27, in a game filled with mistakes, penalties and questionable coaching decisions.
- The Jets, on a TD run and scoring pass by Sam Darnold, took a 14-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- But the Giants, held to two yards of offense in the first quarter, rally to cut the gap to 14-13 on a pair of TD catches by Darius Slayton. A bad snap on a PAT costs the Giants a chance to tie. Slayton has five TD catches this season. (Odell Beckham has one, by the way.)
- Jets safety Jamal Adams, who threw a temper tantrum when Jets shopped him, ran over Saquon Barkley on a blitz, stripped the ball from turnover machine Daniel Jones and took it in for a TD as the Jets take a 21-13 lead.
- The Giants come back with a wide receiver screen to Golden Tate for a 61-yard TD. Tate gets called for pass interference on the 2-point conversion try, and Giants miss the ensuing PAT — the second PAT botched by the Giants today.
- Giants take the lead for the first time Sunday on Tate’s second TD catch (and Jones’ fourth TD pass). Giants convert two-point try with a pass to tight end Bennie Fowler.
- Giants have scored three TDs on third-down plays. Their other TD came on fourth down.
- Saquon Barkley leaves the game with a shoulder injury, but returns.
- Jets take the lead, 31-27, on Le’Veon Bell’s 1-yard run.
- Barkley finished with 1 yard on 13 carries.
We’ll have up-to-the-minute scoring and stats here throughout the game.
Check the scoreboard below.NFL MetLife Stadium, NJFINALNew YorkJets34-27New YorkGiants
|New York Giants|
|New York Jets|
Sun Nov 10 Status: Final Attendance: 78,523
|Final1234TotNY Giants01314027NY Jets140101034Preview | Box | Gameview | RecapLeaderNY GiantsNY JetsPassingD. Jones 308S. Darnold 230RushingD. Jones 20L. Bell 34ReceivingD. Slayton 121D. Thomas 84|
© STATS – 2019
Here’s what you need to know:
Who: Giants vs. Jets
What: NFL, Week 9
Where: MetLife Stadium; East Rutherford, N.J.
When: Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019
Time: 1 p.m. EDT
Line: Giants -2.5 | Get betting tips and analysis at nj.com/betting
STREAKS, STATS AND NOTES — Jets haven’t beaten Giants as “home” team since 1988. … Giants on five-game losing streak. Also lost five in a row last season and had two five-game skids in 2017. Looking to avoid first six-game losing streak since 2014, when they finished 6-10. … Giants QB Daniel Jones needs two completions to set team rookie record, set by Charlie Conerly in 1948. Jones also needs 43 pass attempts to break Conerly’s franchise mark. Jones has six TD passes and only two INTs in last three games, but has also lost five fumbles in that span. Jones’ 16 turnovers — eight INTs, eight fumbles — tie him with Tampa Bay QB Jameis Winston for most in NFL. … RB Saquon Barkley had career-best 65-yard catch last week vs. Cowboys. … Giants TE Evan Engram uncertain to play with sprained left foot. … S Antoine Bethea has fumble recovery in consecutive games. … DL Leonard Williams faces former team for first time since being traded by Jets two weeks ago for third-round draft pick and conditional fifth-rounder. Had 17 sacks, four passes defensed and two forced fumbles in 71 career games with Jets. … Jets coming off embarrassing 28-16 loss at previously winless Miami. … Adam Gase’s offense ranks last in NFL in total offense, passing offense and third-down offense, and second to last in sacks allowed and scoring. … QB Sam Darnold has thrown three TD passes and eight INTs in last three games. Also has completed just 58.4% of his passes in that span. … RB Le’Veon Bell dealing with sore ankle and knee but is expected to play. Had 121 yards from scrimmage last week with 66 yards rushing and 55 yards receiving. Bell’s 3.3 yards per carry would rank as career worst. … WR Jamison Crowder leads Jets with 43 receptions and is coming off game vs. Dolphins in which he caught eight passes for 83 yards and first TD with New York. … Rookie DL Quinnen Williams had first career full sack last week. … Jets have held opponents to league-low 3.13 yards rushing per attempt. Since 2009, only two other teams have lower average through nine games: Pittsburgh (2.65, 2010) and Cleveland (2.91, 2017). That Browns defense was also led by current Jets D-coordinator Gregg Williams. … Fantasy tip: Giants WR Golden Tate could be in for huge game vs. Jets secondary that will likely be without starting CBs Trumaine Johnson, already on IR, and Darryl Roberts, who has calf injury.